Our chapter is a non-profit educational organization established in 1972 to
- foster and encourage an appreciation of East Asian brush painting and its techniques
- serve as a bridge between East Asian and Western art
- conduct educational activities
- exhibit Sumi-e art at public events and shows
- furnish information to persons who wish to learn about this art
We build on the mission of the Society founded in 1963 by Motoi Oi.
“In the east, paintings reflect the great joy of culture. They are a reflection of an intense personal idiom. My idea was to provide a means through which the fresh, new spirit of American culture could be viewed in Sumi-e” – Motoi Oi